Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fire Safety Week

I got really excited about Fire Safety week this year. This post is about a few learning centers I came up with for the week. For literacy I set up a letter review. I place a firefighter in the wooden firetruck from the play set. I also took 4 paper bags, cut doors in them and wrote the letters that we have studied on them. They represented the fire station. I placed letter cards and beginning sound pictures in the middle of the table, and the children were instructed to transport the letters to their proper station. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture.

For my math center, I cut out a dog's face from felt. I gave him eyes, nose and mouth. I then cut out several black circle like shapes. I placed large dice out on the table, and the children had to count the number of dots they rolled and apply that many spots to the dalmatian. Don't worry about the spots being in any particular shape, for they are after all - spots!

The last center I came up with for Fire Safety week was for the Sand & Water table. I have seen ideas online where people freeze objects in colored water. I took this idea and adapted it for my firefighter theme. I took hay bales, fences and similar objects from the play area that could potentially be set on fire. I froze them in orange, red and yellow dyed water. I placed the ice chunks in the table and set funnels, watering canes and cups with warm water in the table. The children poured the water over the ice releasing the objects. Though ice is the polar opposite of fire, it still served the purpose and the children had fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment